I wasn’t going to attempt the showstopper challenge on Bake Off, but I got grabbed by an idea that wouldn’t let go.
So, yesterday, I found myself in the kitchen whipping up a batch of my favourite Digestive biscuits, and couldn’t resist saving a couple as a base and moving on to my favourite easy and healthy mousse recipe.
These little puddings will somehow simultaneously refresh you and warm you from the inside out, and give you a little kick when you least expect it.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
Mint & Spice Hot Chocolate Entremets
35g wholemeal flour
35g butter, cut into cubes
35g oatmeal/oats (I like to use a half-and-half mix)
10g muscovado/soft brown sugar
pinch of salt
pinch of baking powder (about 1/4-1/2 tsp)
1. Rub butter and flour together to get a breadcrumb consistency, then add the oatmeal/oats, sugar, salt and baking powder, and mix together until you get a soft sticky dough (you may need to add a few drops of milk to bring it together).
2. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 20-30 mins. Take out of the fridge half an hour before you want to use it (you can use this time to make the chantilly below if you want).
3. Roll dough out thinly and use a deep cutter to cut out biscuits. Bake in a preheated oven (180C/gas 4) for 10-12 mins.
4. Allow to cool and use cutters to reshape the bisuits how you want them, leaving them at the bottom of the cutter.
5. Make 1 batch of this recipe, adding 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, and 1/2 tsp chilli powder to the mixture as you whisk it. Then spoon/pipe into the cutters on top of the biscuits and chill in fridge or freezer for a few mins to help it keep its shape. Slowly and carefully push the biscuits up through the cutter with the mousse, and reshape slightly if need be.
For the topping:
6. Roll out a small amount of fondant (shop-bought or homemade) that you have worked about 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract into and cut with the cutters so it is the same shape as your entremets. Cut an After Eight into quarters and cut the same size square out of your already shaped fondant, replacing with the After Eight pieces. Place on top of mousses and top with a couple of mini marshmallows.